Map + Location
© 2019 Saint Bernadette Catholic School
website by: Web Chick
WEEKLY NEWS: Announcements for the Week of November 18
LITURGIES AND SERVICE:
Students attend morning Mass on Fridays at 8:20AM; and Benediction on Wednesdays at 2pm. All are welcome!
NEXT WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Picture RETAKES 8-9am
School Mass 8:20am
Poinsettia pick up
PICTIRE RETAKE DAY:
Picture Retake Day is Thursday, Nov. 21.- 8-9:00AM. If you missed picture day or would like more photos, order forms are available in the school office. If you are not satisfied with your child’s photos, return the complete package to the photographer and a new package will be ordered. The photographer will only be here from 8AM-9:00AM; so if your child is in the afternoon preschool class, please bring him/her to school for pictures on Thursday morning (11/21). Students being photographed may dress up, out of uniform.
Many thanks to everyone who donated items or money for our military care packages. We collected enough snacks, toiletries and entertainment items to fill the monthly boxes to our deployed alumni. And the generous monetary donations (over $600) will off-set all the postage required for the overseas shipping.
Did you receive your TEST call from School Messenger on Sunday? And the delayed arrival announcement on Tuesday? Please contact the school office:
• If you did not receive the calls
• If the call was received at an unsuitable number, or
• If you wish to add or change emergency numbers. Thanks!!
WINTER WEATHER REMINDERS:
• Dress warmly!! Please remember that students will enjoy outdoor recess in the morning and at noon whenever possible. Be sure to send your child with warm coats, hats, gloves, etc. Thanks!
• Winter Weather closings and delays will be announced via a robo-call from School Messenger. The greeting on the school answering machine will also reflect any schedule changes. If Lancaster City Schools close or delay, St. Bernadette will do the same.
IMMEDIATE OPENINGS ON OUR SCHOOL ADVISORY BOARD:
The St. Bernadette School Advisory Board has 2 openings for board positions for the current year. Board positions are open to parish members and to the parents of children attending St. Bernadette School. Meetings are held once a month on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. If you are interested in serving on the board, please submit a letter of intent to the school office.
VISITING AUTHOR/LOCAL HISOTRY DAY:
• On Monday, November 25, Ohio author, Martha Dunsky will visit St. Bernadette School to share her book- Fire and Forgiveness: a Nun’s Truce with General Sherman, a true story involving Lancaster’s own native son, General Sherman. Her story includes important lessons in forgiveness and peacemaking. An order form for her book, which will be signed by the author, is available in the school office. Please make checks out to the author: Martha Caprarotta and return orders to the school office by Friday, November 22.
• All students and families are invited to pre-order a copy of Ms. Dunsky’s amazing book.
Martha feels that the lessons in her book are most appropriate for our students in grades 1-5, but all our students (preschool - 5th grade) will have the opportunity to participate in activities designed to help them learn about our Lancaster history, the Civil War, and William Tecumseh Sherman on Monday, November 25th.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR:
Once again it’s time for our Fall Scholastic Book Fair. The Fair will run from December 2-6, 2019. We are looking for volunteers to help run the fair. We especially need help on Monday morning for the Kindergarten, 1st grade and 2nd grade wish lists and after school on Tuesday and Friday until 3:15p. Please let Ms. Genders know if you might have a little time to help. It’s our volunteers that help to make our fair so successful!! No training is necessary, but Protecting God’s Children is required.
Due to the recent events across our country, we find ourselves operating at a “more alert” level or status. All of us at St. Bernadette School want to have the safest environment possible for our students, teachers, and parents.
It is not my intention to cause more stress than we need or to unnecessarily alarm you. The safety of St. Bernadette School has never been in question. This morning, we had a visit from a sheriff’s deputy. The Fairfield County Sherriff’s Department wanted to be present in our community schools. Being unsure of our start time, our visit happened a little later in the morning. The deputy toured our school and offered assurances and informational resources to keep us informed of best practices in being prepared for any type of emergency.
Also, we had an additional guest in our building. He is the godfather of one of our preschool students, and is also an officer in the Carroll Police Department. He accompanied our students to lunch and to the playground.
As always, we will strive to be as cautious as possible and to make our school the safest it can be - every day.
February 23, 2018